Friday, August 3, 2012

Running Records

In previous education classes, I had been exposed to the idea of taking running records for both reading assessment and behavioral assessment. When the idea was presented during previous classes, the focus was more on keeping running records for behavioral purposes. These records, where the teacher writes down every single thing the children is doing, seemed pretty overwhelming especially when I attempted to apply that same framework to keeping a running record for reading assessment purposes. After looking through the Marie Clay book, however, I feel I understand the process substantially better. Marie Clay is a name that I have often heard associated  with quality reading instruction and in this running record book she seems to include many useful strategies and tools. I particularly liked the different symbols and representations for common reading errors she provides. These seem like they will be easy to remember and mark even if the child is reading quickly. I believe this book will be a great resource for me in my future classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Reading records does seem like a good system but I think it is going to take a lot of practice to get really good at it. I did not do so well with our practice in class. However, what I really like about it is that it is commonly used so that all teachers are assessing in a similar way. This will be helpful when communicating with other teachers about a student.

    ReplyDelete